What Happens if I’m in an Accident With an Uninsured Driver?

Man and woman stand outside of their collided vehicles arguing about the accident

All Florida drivers are required by law to carry the following minimum amounts of car insurance coverage:

  • No less than $10,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage
  • No less than $10,000 in Property Damage Liability (PDL) coverage

Even though the state has imposed rules declaring that all drivers are required to have this coverage, not everyone is covered.

Continue reading to learn what to do if you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

Florida is a No-Fault State

If you’re injured in a car accident in a no-fault state, you are typically required to seek compensation from your own insurance policy, but that’s not the only way to recover damages.

You may recover compensation in a few different ways.

PIP Coverage

If the accident was relatively mild causing minimal damage to your vehicle and your medical expenses aren’t extraordinary, your policy should cover the damages.

However, it’s not uncommon for insurance companies to make their customers jump through hoops in order to be compensated for a claim. In fact, insurance companies have been known to do any of the following to avoid paying out customers’ claims:

  • Deny coverage
  • Delay payments
  • Offer low-ball settlements that won’t cover the damages

If your insurance company doesn’t take your claim seriously, it may be a good idea to seek help from a qualified personal injury attorney.

Elective Insurance Coverage

As a Florida driver, you have several options to add onto your insurance policy that can help you pay for damages in the event of an accident. The following policy options can help you tremendously in the event you’re involved in a crash with an uninsured driver:

  • Uninsured motorist coverage
  • Underinsured motorist coverage
  • Collision coverage

Sue the Uninsured Driver

Of course, you have the option to sue the uninsured driver for damages. The uninsured driver won’t be protected under Florida’s no-fault law because he or she broke the law by choosing not to purchase the minimum required car insurance coverage.

We’re Here to Help

If you’ve been injured in an accident due to the negligence of another person, we may be able to help you recover compensation. Attorney Paul A. Shapiro is highly skilled in the area of car accident personal injury law and has helped many other people just like you obtain justice. Let our team see if we can help you seek justice, too. Don’t hesitate to contact our office with your case right away.

Call Shapiro Law Firm, P.A. today at (850) 629-7226 for a free consultation.

Related Posts
  • Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident Read More
  • Mistakes to Avoid After a Car Accident Read More
  • How to Get Compensation After a Car Accident in Florida: A Guide for Victims Read More